Ceramic tiles, mosaic, stone or wood? We talk about all the materials that can be used to design a kitchen backsplash.
In the design of a kitchen backsplash, everything is important: the size, the shape, and, of course, the material from which it is made. Its main function is to protect walls from grease, water, dirt, and steam in the cooking area. Therefore, it must be durable and stylish. After all, it is one of the main decorative kitchen elements.
Review of materials
Ceramic tiles are one of the most popular materials for decorating a work area. But not the only one. Let’s consider all the options.
The kitchen backsplash design is made of tiles
Let’s start with the main thing – ceramics. Its demand is not accidental.
- Firstly, tiles are easy to care for. Grease stains and drip marks don’t stand a chance.
- Secondly, we are pleased with the wear resistance and moisture resistance. Not afraid of alkalis, and acids, resistant to moisture. But here everything depends on the specific type of ceramics. Porcelain tiles are many times stronger than decorative products.
- Thirdly, it is easy to choose from a wide variety of products. The tiles are easy to fit into any interior. Suitable for modern, classic, and Scandinavian design.
There are a few cons. The weak point of this finish is the seams, or more precisely the grout. It quickly loses its appearance from dirt and grease, especially if it is made in light colors. It will have to be updated periodically. The second point is styling. Despite its apparent simplicity, laying tiles is not easy. It is unlikely that you will be able to design this zone on your own. The installation process is messy and requires care and precision from the master.
Several types of tiles can be called the most fashionable in modern kitchen backsplash design.
- Subway Tile. Even though many are already quite tired of it, it is difficult to ignore. Simple tiles give room for imagination. It can be laid not only vertically, horizontally, or in a herringbone pattern, but you can also try checkerboard or diagonal laying options.
- Scales. Another cute option for a modern kitchen. It looks more interesting in bright colors in combination with a plain set. In this case, it can become an accent in the interior.
- Arabesque. An atypical option with oriental motifs. Looks good in neoclassical and classic interiors.
Choose carefully the more decorative options with paintings, drawings, and patterns. Not all will be appropriate in modern designs. The simplest in this regard is patchwork, which is easy to fit into decorative interiors in rustic and Scandinavian style.
Mosaic in the design of a kitchen backsplash is not used so often today. But this fact does not make it irrelevant. You just have to spend time choosing the right mosaic.
- Glossy bright options made of glass and ceramics may look out of date. However, they are acceptable in bright, kitschy designs.
- Stone mosaic is suitable for classic and eco-friendly designs.
The advantage is that it is a durable material that is not afraid of moisture and steam. However the cost of coating is often higher than ceramics. Mosaics are more difficult to install than large-format tiles. Without experience, it is better not to take risks.
Which backsplash for the kitchen is better to choose if you are not limited by budget? Stone! These are natural granite and marble or their artificial analogs. A more affordable option is porcelain stoneware slabs with a matching print. But in terms of its properties, it cannot be equal to stone.
- Granite is the most durable material that is resistant to moisture, dirt, and temperature changes. The variety of shades is also surprising.
- Marble absorbs moisture and dirt faster and is not always easy to clean. But it looks very impressive.
- The main difficulty in working with stone is the need for professional, expensive installation.
- Artificial stone is almost no different from granite, it is only slightly inferior to it in strength. Its price is still higher than porcelain tiles, mosaics, or ceramics.
MDF and chipboard
In the photo, the wooden backsplash in the kitchen design looks very cozy. But wood is not the best material for decorating a space with a harsh environment. Also expensive. Therefore, analogs are more often used – MDF and laminated chipboard, are cheaper and stronger.
Wooden coverings look especially good in combination with a tabletop made of the same material. Other advantages: ease of installation and maintenance.
MDF and chipboard are not suitable for finishing the area behind the stove due to their high flammability. Heat-resistant coatings or separate screens are used here.
Not the most obvious solution. But if you like industrial style or modern high-tech, take a closer look at it. Textured panels are suitable for modern kitchens.
The metal is durable and strong. He is not afraid of the impact. However, the main disadvantage of working with it is its soilability. All water drops, fingerprints, and stains will be visible. The smooth surface will have to be wiped dry after each meal preparation. It is much easier to care for textured products.
Metal mosaics can be a worthy alternative to panels.
Another coating that doesn’t have many fans. The work uses special tempered glass; with a strong impact, it breaks not into sharp fragments, but into safer round ones.
Glass is easy to clean, although it is not easy to care for. It will also have to be wiped every time so that streaks are not visible. Skinali is a special type of glass panel; photo printing is applied to them. In the photo, such glass aprons for the kitchen do not always look relevant. Drawings and paintings were popular in the early 2000s, now pay attention to abstract textured prints.
Another controversial cover. It all depends on the appearance and pattern applied to the plastic. This is a good solution for an apartment for rent or temporary renovation.
- The advantage is obvious: price. The plastic is easy to replace if it breaks or wears out.
- Easily scratched, dirty, and broken. Service life – no more than 5 years.
- Bright coatings fade in the sun.
A plastic kitchen backsplash is not suitable for decorating an area with a stove; here, too, you will have to look for alternative solutions in the form of tiles, for example.
Color and design
We have some tips for working area design.
- Matte surfaces are easier to care for than glossy ones.
- The staining of light coatings is a myth; dark ones are more capricious. It shows stains and drops better.
- If you choose a bright finish for your work area, it’s better to make everything else more neutral. Let the wall be the only accent.
- With the help of finishing you can visually adjust the room a little. Try using tile laying for this.
- Medium-sized tiles look good in small rooms. Too small will eat up space.
The most important thing about our Telegram that it is for
those who are in a hurry