Colors, finishes, furniture, and decor – we tell you in detail how to design a harmonious interior of an apartment in a neoclassical style.
Classics in their pure form are not suitable for all apartments: this direction requires expensive materials, large spaces, and large forms. If you like traditional, timeless design, but at the same time want something more functional and modern, take a closer look at the neoclassical style in the interior. In this article, we will analyze its main features and share design ideas for different rooms.
Today, in the interior design of apartments (photo below), neoclassicism is found much more often than its “big brother”. This direction is less demanding and is also suitable for small apartments.
Main style markers:
- Symmetry – this canon comes from the classics, and it is what distinguishes traditional interiors from modern ones. The elements are arranged symmetrically, there is always a clear compositional center.
- Neutral colors – the palette is based on calm and noble shades, mainly light ones. Pastel or brighter deep colors are used as accents.
- High-quality materials – preferably natural (wood, stone, leather, etc.), but imitations are also allowed. The main thing is that they are durable and environmentally friendly. For example, wood can be replaced with good MDF for furniture or high-class laminate for flooring.
- Elegant furniture – unlike classics, which are characterized by massive cabinet furniture with a lot of decor, neoclassics tend to have elegant simplicity. Thanks to this, it is easier to adapt it to small apartments: elegant chairs with thin legs or a compact sofa will not overload the space.
- A minimum of patterns – the use of patterns in decoration or textiles is not prohibited, but there should be a few of them. Choose simple, low-contrast designs, preferably geometry and abstraction. In general, the design assumes monotony.
- Stucco molding – there should not be as much of it as in a pure classical style, and the stucco decoration itself is usually simpler. Mainly used are moldings, platbands, and various decorative cornices.
- Space – first of all, it is expressed in the absence of clutter and visual chaos. There is always air between objects, and there are exactly as many things in the room as you need – nothing superfluous. The ceilings are high or look that way.
Neoclassicism in apartment interior design
Let’s look at how to decorate a neoclassical interior step by step, with photos of beautiful ideas.
Colors not only create a certain mood in the interior but can also make it visually more expensive. That is why restrained and noble shades are used in traditional design – this is also typical for neoclassicism.
Choose neutral natural tones that go well together: white, light gray, ivory, shades of beige, and brown. This is a universal base, which can then be complemented with brighter accents. Suitable for their role:
- Pastel colors – pistachio, light yellow, lavender, dusty pink, mint, blue, peach, etc.
- Rich colors – emerald, wine, indigo, eggplant.
- Dark contrasting shades – black, anthracite gray, chocolate.
If you use bright colors, choose deep, slightly muted tones so that the space does not turn out tacky and overloaded with color.
The choice of finishing materials is determined by the characteristic features of neoclassicism.
You can decorate the walls in different ways: paint, wallpaper, decorative plaster, panels, porcelain stoneware, and tiles in the bathroom, kitchen, or hallway. The finish should be laconic and look expensive, so choose high-quality materials and noble textures. For example, marble-like ceramics or natural stone look great in the bathroom. Wallpaper can be plain, with a discreet pattern, or can be painted. Textile fabrics with designer patterns are suitable for the living room or bedroom. In order not to overload the space, they can be used to decorate one accent wall.
The floor covering must be reliable, durable, and durable. It is best to install parquet or engineered wood; high-end laminate is also acceptable. Porcelain stoneware, quartz vinyl, and classic tiles are suitable for wet areas.
The ceiling can be suspended or simply painted. Unlike minimalist interiors, decorations are allowed and even encouraged here: cornices, stucco molding in the corners, and sockets around lamps.
Furniture and appliances
The furniture should be classic, but in a simplified form – not so monolithic and complex in shape.
Traditional elements appear rather in the details: rounded shapes of the backs, curved legs, carriage screed on the upholstery and smooth lines. For example, a bed with a soft headboard is often installed in the bedroom, and facades with decorative carvings and glass inserts on the doors are installed in the kitchen. Products must be durable and made from high-quality materials: wood, MDF, and metal. For upholstery of upholstered furniture, expensive textured fabrics are used: velour, suede, leather, or eco-leather, and velvet.
Unlike contemporary or minimalism, where built-in closed systems predominate, creating the effect of invisibility, graceful free-standing products are more often used here. Including open and semi-open sections: for example, sideboards, shelving, or a wall of furniture in the living room.
Another important point is technology. It shouldn’t stand out from the overall decor, so there are two options: built-in models that are hidden behind the fronts of cabinets, or with a special vintage design.
In matters of decor, it is important to find a middle ground: there should be neither too much nor too little decoration.
The decor performs several functions at once: it adds coziness to the room, makes it more elegant and luxurious, and places visual accents. Even if the footage is limited, you can use large items – there just shouldn’t be too many of them.
What decor is suitable:
- Framed paintings, retro posters and graphics.
- Large and small mirrors on the walls.
- Various stucco moldings.
- Decorative vases, figurines and figurines, candlesticks.
- Scented candles in beautiful, simple candlesticks.
- Textiles made from high-quality natural fabrics: carpets, decorative pillows, bed linen, curtains, rugs.
- Vintage jewelry boxes and organizers.
- Antiques – for example, watches or dishes.
Ideas for different rooms
The central place in the cooking area is occupied by the set. The size and location depend on the room layout. Usually, this is a classic two-tier design with upper cabinets – most often they are made up to the ceiling to create more storage space. The facades are matte, with milling and other carved decor. Particular attention is paid to fittings – handles should not look cheap. It is best to make a tabletop from stone or wood, but this is quite expensive. Cheaper alternatives include acrylic or wood-look chipboard.
The dining group is usually represented by a traditional table. It can be square or round, for 6-8 people or for two. It is complemented with light, elegant chairs from one set. They can be either neutral in color or accent. For example, against the background of a white and beige finish, blue, green, or terracotta upholstery looks very nice.
There shouldn’t be a lot of decor. Enough high-quality textiles, beautiful dishes, and a couple of decorations: a painting on the wall, a decorative vase, etc.
The living room is a formal room in which you can safely use bright solutions and the most noticeable objects.
In a room of any size, a light, restrained finish in natural colors looks good: white, mother-of-pearl, sand, or cream walls, decorated with decor and stucco. The furniture is arranged symmetrically. The standard arrangement is a sofa with armchairs on either side of it. In the center, there is a coffee table, opposite there may be an electronic or false fireplace. It is also advisable to arrange storage systems in pairs: for example, two narrow shelves or small chests of drawers.
The interior of the bedroom should be as calm and peaceful as possible. As a rule, this room is decorated in warm light colors.
There is not much furniture: a large bed, a wardrobe or a spacious chest of drawers, optionally a dressing table, an armchair or a work area. Visually highlight the sleeping area. This can be a soft frame, a decorative twisted headboard, or fabric panels the entire height of the wall. Decor and textiles will add coziness to the atmosphere: textured bed linen (preferably plain), a soft rug, multi-layer curtains, a couple of paintings, decorative candles, and vases.
Designers decorate even a small bathroom elegantly and with a touch of luxury. In many ways, this effect is created by the finishing.
Porcelain stoneware or tiles are laid on the floor, the walls can be finished only with ceramics or combined with paint or wallpaper. They must be moisture-resistant. Avoid patterns that are too small or variegated. Plain surfaces, as well as imitations of marble and stone, look good.
It is better to take classic white plumbing fixtures, but you can complement it with expressive fittings in gold or silver. If you have a shower instead of a bathtub, choose an elegant model with a minimum of plastic inserts. The best option is a shower box with a glass screen. The room should have multi-level lighting, as well as many glass and mirror surfaces in which the light will be reflected. Beautiful pendants and ceiling lamps are often used as decoration.
In the interior of the hallway, elements of classicism are manifested in details: decor, furniture decoration, and textures.
The decoration should be primarily practical. The most popular flooring materials are quartz vinyl, porcelain stoneware, and tiles. The walls can be decorated with paint, plaster or wallpaper, but it must be high-quality and washable – you have to clean the entrance area often.
The furniture set is standard: a large storage system, pouf, or banquet. If you have space, you can add a console or shoe rack. You will also need a large mirror – it can be in a massive or, conversely, an elegant ornate frame. The walls should be decorated with paintings, especially if the hallway flows into a long corridor.
The most important thing about our Instagram that it is for
those who are in a hurry