Furniture and decor – we tell you step by step how to decorate a classic interior without fashion.
The classic style in the interior of an apartment is suitable for those who are far from fast trends and are planning renovations for years that will take several generations of the family. In this article, we will tell you what classic design is and what points to consider when designing. We will also share ideas for each room and inspiring photos.
Unlike modern interiors, classics are built according to strict canons.
This style is easy to distinguish from others by a number of features.
- Space. This style is designed for large spaces. It reveals itself best in country houses or spacious apartments. If the footage is limited, it is better to choose a lightweight option: neoclassicism or stylization using characteristic elements.
- Symmetry. Classicism was formed on the basis of ancient canons, the main of which is symmetry. The interior necessarily has a center around which the composition is built. If the room is large and has several functional areas (for example, kitchen-living-dining room), there may be several such centers.
- Natural materials. Classic interiors are associated with luxury and elegance, primarily due to expensive natural materials. No cheap plastic panels, thin paper wallpaper, or chipboard furniture. The priority is solid wood, stone, crystal, and glass, leather, textile wallpaper, natural fabrics.
- Noble colors. The palette is selected to match the materials. It is based on natural colors that are pleasing to the eye: brown, white, beige, black, and gray. Shades of green, blue, red, gold, and silver tones are often used as accents.
- Scale. Classics are characterized by large forms: cabinet furniture, monolithic structures, large paintings in figured frames, and multi-level chandeliers. Since interiors in this style are usually decorated over a large area, it needs to be filled with something. Small details in such a space will simply be lost.
- Smooth shapes. Despite the presence of symmetry and strict geometry, the interior necessarily contains rounded shapes: arches, curved backs of sofas and armchairs, round tables, abstract prints on textiles, etc.
- Architectural decor. The main visual marker of the direction is architectural decorations: stucco molding, ceiling cornices, semi-columns and columns, pilasters, bas-reliefs, and moldings. They are especially actively used in the Baroque and Rococo styles.
There are no strict restrictions on finishing. The main thing is quality materials.
For walls, They use wallpaper, paint, plaster, and decorative panels. The priority is calm colors and plain surfaces. You can use prints (for example, on wallpaper), but they should not be tacky or too bright. In order not to dazzle the eyes, it is better to use the ornament accentuated on 1-2 walls, and make the rest of the background neutral.
For floors in living rooms, parquet, engineered board or high-class laminate are suitable. For the bathroom, hallway, cooking area – quartz vinyl or porcelain stoneware. The texture of the marble looks luxurious.
For the ceiling A perfectly flat surface is important. You can use a tension fabric, including a complex one, but it is important not to overdo it. The best colors are white, cream, ivory, and light gray. Most often, the ceiling is complemented with various stucco decorations.
Furniture is given special attention.
It is she who emphasizes the individuality of the owners, their status, and the nobility of the environment. Most often, products are made to order, from expensive natural materials.
There is no need to be afraid of making the space heavier – furniture, on the contrary, should be massive and solid. It can be of complex shape, decorated with decorative elements, or details made of precious metals.
Antiques are often added to the furnishings. To do this, as a rule, they turn to a specialist for help, who will not only help you choose a beautiful object but will also accurately determine its age, condition, and value. It will also protect you from buying a fake.
Classic decor plays a key role. There may be a lot of it, but every item is valuable.
The most commonly used decorative elements are:
- Figured candlesticks.
- Decorative dishes.
- Handmade crystal and ceramics.
- Large vases.
- Paintings in massive frames, stylized posters, and graphics.
It is impossible to imagine an apartment in a classic style without stucco decoration:
They decorate walls and ceilings, windows, and doorways. This decor makes the space more full and textured and also maintains compositional symmetry. For example, in a classic-style living room, moldings are framed by paintings or wall sconces on either side of the sofa group.
The classics always contain a lot of elegant and sophisticated textiles. It is used in all rooms:
- Decorative pillows and textured curtains in a classic-style living room.
- Silk or cotton bed linen, carpet, and blanket in the bedroom.
- Curtains, tablecloths, and towels in the kitchen.
- Bathrobes, mat and towels in the bathroom, etc.
Ideas for every room
Depending on the layout, the kitchen and living room can be either separate rooms or a single space.
Practicality is important in the cooking area, but the decor should still be elegant. The classic option is a two-tier set made of solid wood with a countertop made of quartz, acrylic, artificial, or natural stone. Since the kitchen is a room with high humidity, wooden furniture should be made of moisture-resistant species, and the products (especially the facades of the furniture) should be coated with a protective varnish. To ensure that modern technology does not stand out from the general visual range, it is better to choose built-in models.
The dining area is a traditional table, most often for 6 people or more, with comfortable chairs. A large accent lamp is usually hung above the table. Sometimes a bar counter is added, but as an additional element, and not as a replacement for a table. If you have a kitchen with an island, you can organize an additional work surface or a place for quick snacks on it.
The decor of the living room depends on the size and shape of the room, the composition of the family, and the lifestyle of the owners.
The compositional center can be:
- Sofa group.
- Real or decorative fireplace.
- TV zone.
The soft group consists of a sofa, several armchairs, and a coffee table. If there is a TV in the room, the wall behind it is often decorated with accent trim or decorative panels. Classic-style living room furniture is most often selected in sets to create visual unity.
A classic-style bedroom is usually visually simpler than a living room or formal dining room.
This is a private room, the main task of which is to maintain a comfortable environment and encourage relaxation. The color scheme depends on personal preferences: light colors create a gentle atmosphere and help you wake up, and dark ones create a more intimate atmosphere.
The central element here is the bed. Usually, the base is made of wood, but the headboard can be either solid or, for example, lined with soft panels. Bedside tables and paired lamps are located symmetrically around. Opposite there is a chest of drawers, a TV, dressing tables, or just a wall with paintings. Clothes are stored either in a closet made of quality wood or in a separate dressing room in the bedroom.
Comfort is added by the decor and tactilely pleasant textiles: bed linen, curtains, carpet, decorative pillows, and blankets.
The interior of a children’s room should not be too strict.
Here it is better to leave only some manifestations of the classics: for example, moldings on the walls and stucco on the ceiling, wooden furniture, noble colors, and a symmetrical composition.
In a child’s room, this style is good because the base will remain relevant for a long time: both at 5 and at 15 years old. As the owner or hostess gets older, it will be enough to update some furniture and decor without resorting to major renovations.
Classic is an excellent choice for a home office.
The status interior will suit managers, and the discreet atmosphere will set the mood for work.
Use a laconic color palette: beige, gray, and brown as a base. Deep wine, dark blue, plum, and emerald colors will look good as accents. For furniture, choose oak, ash, mahogany, beech, and other noble species.
The layout depends on the type of activity of the owner and the size of the room. Standard set:
- Desk with chair.
- Storage systems – bookcases, shelving, chest of drawers.
- Relaxation area – an armchair or sofa, sometimes a fireplace.
Hallway in classic style
The entrance area sets the tone for the entire apartment, so it should resonate with the overall design. But first of all, be practical, since dirt from the street constantly collects in the hallway.
To do this use:
- Porcelain tiles or tiles for finishing walls and ceilings. If the hallway is large, you can combine materials: for example, lay the floor at the entrance with porcelain tiles, and use parquet or laminate in the living area.
- Non-staining colors on which dirt is not visible: shades of beige, gray, brown. Muted tones of green and orange, black, terracotta, and brown are also suitable.
- Convenient storage systems for outerwear and shoes, so you don’t have to walk far and dirty the floor and walls.
The amount of furniture depends on the size of the hall. Usually, this is a spacious wardrobe, shoe rack, hanger, and pouf or banquette. Be sure to hang a large mirror with lighting so that it is convenient to look into it before going out.
There is little furniture in the bathroom, so the emphasis is on luxurious finishes.
Use porcelain stoneware, tiles, decorative plaster, and washable paint from premium collections. The texture of marble, mosaic, imitation stone and dark wood look organic.
Choose beautiful plumbing fixtures. If you have enough space, install a freestanding clawfoot bathtub or design a walk-in shower with a spa area. Storage systems can be made of varnished wood or high-quality moisture-resistant MDF. For decoration, use scented candles, textiles made from natural fabrics, a mirror in a figured frame, and accent lamps.
The most important thing about our Instagram that it is for
those who are in a hurry